Monday, May 21, 2007

Dog Mountain

Last week on the way home from college, my dad and I hiked up Dog Mountain. My mom was there too, but she's been having some trouble with her achilles so she couldn't do the hike with us this time, maybe next year. I thought I was in decent shape, but boy was I wrong. The hike is 3.8 miles uphill, and when I say uphill, I mean steep uphill, like climbing stairs uphill. My dad however, zoomed up the hill and had to pause every few hundred yards for me to catch up.



It was definitely worth it though, we reached the top and the hillside was covered with thousands of beautiful wildflowers, mostly some yellow daisy-type ones. We took photos of all the different types of flowers we could find, I think there were over twenty in all. I got a northwest wildflower book last Christmas, so hopefully I can identify at least some of the flowers.


If any of you live in the northwest, now is the time to hike Dog Mountain. The wildflowers are just amazing, I've never seen anything like it. They stretched over the hillside like a yellow blanket, and then if you looked closer, you'd see little specks of all the colors of the rainbow. My dad said it looked like a boquet, all the flowers were arranged so beautifully. While this hike is definitely a challenge, it's well worth it. It's near the town of White Salmon in the Gorge off the Colombia River.

8 comments:

Stacey said...

Hi
I saw your blog on your etsy forum. Its looking good!
Good photos and that always helps

Robin Marie said...

Those flowers are incredible! Those are the kinds of pictures you see in flower catalogs and on puzzle boxes. It must have been totally awesome to see those at the top after hiking your butt off.

Sarah said...

thank you robin marie, yes, it was really amazing!

LazyTcrochet said...

Wow what a beautiful hike that must have been! Gorgeous pictures too. I love your knitty items.

Anonymous said...

Wow! very pretty pictures. I wish I can do stuff like that, hiking... unfortunately I'm in the concrete jungle of NYC..

Thanks for adding me to your blog. I added you on mine too! :-)

BetteJo said...

Beautiful flowers! Wonderful to find them on a hike and be able to take pictures like a nature photographer!
SO pretty!!

Debra said...

What a beautiful place...those flowers are beautiful. It looks like it was fun!

Debra

BetteJo said...

Sarah - you have been tagged.
Write 7 little known things about yourself and then tag someone else!
Please?